National Highways Sector Schemes (NHSS) are designed to allow organisations working on the UK road networks to minimise risks and to improve performance. All schemes are based on ISO 9001:2008 and have been established to provide both a consistent and a sector specific interpretation of the standard. Schemes are designed to ensure a consistently high standard of workmanship, decrease the incidents of accidents whilst maintaining traffic flow on road networks.
The schemes fall into four main categories:
- Fencing, Landscaping and Vehicle Safety Restraints
- Road Surfacing and Marking
- Lighting, Electronics and Corrosion Protection
- Traffic Management
Schemes are developed by a number of UK Technical Advisory Committees. BM TRADA are represented on these committees and therefore are actively involved in the development of the schemes. Registration to NHSS is generally considered to be mandatory, or at the very least best practice, for all highways works.
BM TRADA currently offer certification to the following schemes:
National Highways Sector Schemes
- Design and/or Supply, Installation and Repair of Fences - Highway Sector Scheme No 2A
- Supply, Installation and Repair of Vehicle Restraint Systems - Highway Sector Scheme No 2B
- Design, Supply, Installation and Repair of Environmental Barriers (Structural) - Highway Sector Scheme No 2C
- Preservative Treatment of Timber - Highway Sector Scheme No 4
- Manufacture of Parapets for Road Restraint Systems - Highway Sector Scheme No 5A
- Installation of Parapets for Road Restraint Systems - Highway Sector Scheme No 5B
- Application of Road Marking Materials and Road Studs to Road Surfaces - Highway Sector Scheme No 7
- Installation and Maintenance of Highway Electrical Equipment and Road Traffic Signs - Highway Sector Scheme No 8, 9B and 10
- Traffic Sign Manufacture - Highway Sector Scheme No 9A
- Static Temporary Traffic Management on Motorways and High Speed Dual Carriageways Including On Line Widening Schemes – Highway Sector Scheme No 12A & 12B
- Mobile Lane Closure Traffic Management on Motorways and other Dual Carriageways - Highway Sector Scheme No 12C
- Installing, Maintaining and Removing Temporary Traffic Management on Rural and Urban Roads - Highway Sector Scheme No 12D
- Supply and Application of Surface Dressings to Road Surfaces - Highway Sector Scheme No 13A
- Supply and Application of Microsurfacing - Highway Sector Scheme 13B
- Quality Assurance of the Production of Asphalt Mixes - Highway Sector Scheme No 14
- Laying of Asphalt Mixes - Highway Sector Scheme No 16
- Environment and Landscape including Ecology - National Highway Sector Scheme 18
Highway Sector Schemes
Manufacture of Fencing Components - Highway Sector Scheme No 1
For further information please call our head office on 01494 569700 or email email@example.com. Whatever business you are in, we will be happy to advise you on the most cost-effective route to registration.
For details of the costs of certification please complete and return our Request for Quotation Form.